Is Pricing One of Your Biggest Challenges?
Pricing is a core subject essential to the health of your small business. Pricing correctly can make the difference between success and failure. We are pleased to now offer this course online, in an easy-to-read format, with videos, exercises and clear step-by-step instructions.
Have you experienced any of these problems?
- You've underpriced your work out of fear that it won't sell.
- You aren't clear on how to arrive at the right price for your work.
- You're unsure whether you are actually profitable in your small business.
- You want to charge higher prices for what you make, but don't know how to do it.
Did you know?
- It's not "all about price" but choosing the right market.
- There are ways to add perceived value to your work that justify a higher price.
- Profit is not what you put in your pocket at the end of the show day.
This course takes the mystery out of pricing!
Our comprehensive course teaches:
- The formula for calculating expenses and arriving at a base price.
- Why this formula is essential for fine artists and makers - no matter your market or how you are selling.
- Why you must build your price from the ground up.
- How to control costs and become more efficient, increasing your margins.
- How to understand the "cost of sale" and why it matters.
- Adding perceived value to your work to increase your prices.
- The truth about markups - for selling wholesale, selling retail and consigning.
- How to price your fine art, and when to increase your prices.
- Strategies for working with art galleries.
- Discounting strategies and pitfalls.
- The importance of pricing consistency.
- How to scale your product offerings to gain repeat sales and increase profits.
This is the first course that has given me concrete information about how to price my artwork. I finally know and can confidently calculate what a wholesale price is and what retail is. It has rocked my world where I am discovering that the artwork I make needs to command higher prices. I can take this information and use it to create a sustainable income from the glass art that I love to do! Thank you! - Louis Gignac
Carolyn Edlund is an art business consultant, writer and speaker, teaching courses on marketing, sales and other topics for artists and makers.
With a background that includes 20 years running her own successful production studio, and seven years as a sales rep for a national art publisher, she has extensive experience in all aspects of launching and growing a creative business.
Since founding Artsy Shark in 2009, she has written hundreds of articles on the business of art and currently teaches at professional development events in collaboration with the Clark Hulings Fund for Visual Artists.